FALSE BOMB REPORT SUSPECT ARRESTED
- BSO Case Number: DN02-10-1156
- PIO Number: 02-10-17
- Date: Oct. 10, 2002
- Time: 1420
- Place of Occurrence: Bass Pro Shop Outdoor World, 200 Gulfstream Way, Dania Beach
- Bass Pro Shop Outdoor World, 200 Gulfstream Way, Dania Beach
- Jose Antonio Casas, 42, D.O.B.: 3/23/60, 201Crandon Blvd., Key Biscayne (Miami)
Description of Incident:
An unfounded bomb report forces the evacuation of a popular Dania Beach sporting goods mega store, but not before Broward Sheriff’s Office deputies swiftly move in and manage to hook their suspect.
Shortly after 2 p.m., Thursday, Jose Antonio Casas, 42, entered the Bass Pro Shop Outdoor World sporting goods mega store in Dania Beach and made his way to the store’s restaurant/ bar. During a brief conversation with a waitress, Casas mentioned he was going to the restroom, but would leave his briefcase at the bar because “it had a bomb in it.” A BSO SRO deputy at the store was subsequently notified of the comment and BSO’s Bomb and Arson Unit immediately responded.
Already under close surveillance, Casas returned from the restroom, collected his briefcase at the bar, and proceeded to walk around the store’s retail area. When Casas exited the Bass Pro Shop, he was detained without incident in the parking lot. A large perimeter was quickly established around his newer- model black Jaguar and the store were evacuated as a precaution. Both the property and the suspect’s vehicle were inspected by explosive detection K-9, but nothing was found.
Casas, a resident of Miami, is charged with making a false bomb report and driving with a suspended license.
- INVESTIGATORS: Chief B. Cowart,Lt. Layman
- THIS REPORT BY: Liz Calzadilla /PIO October 10, 2002 1800
Translate This Page: