MAN DEAD AFTER OPENING FIRE ON A BSO DEPUTY
- BSO Case Number: 90-1406-00854
- PIO Number: 14-6-10
- Date: June 6, 2014
- Time: 10:56 p.m.
- Place of Occurrence: 4200 NW 19 St., Lauderhill
- Jurisdiction: Lauderhill
- Deputy Gerald Wengert, 16-year veteran with BSO
- Steven Thompson, 26, male, 6/13/87, 4899 NW 26 St., #447, Lauderdale Lakes (DECEASED)
Description of Incident:
An armed robbery investigation turned deadly Thursday night when a man matching the suspect’s description fired shots at a Broward Sheriff’s Office deputy.
BSO deputies were dispatched to an armed robbery around 10 p.m. near GG’s Restaurant in North Lauderdale. Two women were robbed of their purses at gunpoint by at least two suspects who fled from the scene. The investigation led a K-9 deputy to canvass the area of the Cypress Grove apartments at 4200 NW 19 St. in Lauderhill, where he spotted a man fitting the suspect’s description. He gave the suspect verbal commands, but instead of complying, the suspect ran into a nearby apartment building. The deputy gave chase down a long hallway. The suspect turned and began firing at the deputy, prompting an exchange of gunfire that ended with the suspect wounded multiple times. Lauderhill Fire Rescue transported the suspect, identified as Steven Thompson, 26, to Broward Health Medical Center where he later died.
Luckily, the deputy was not injured.
The second suspect remains at large.
In the adult jail system, Thompson’s arrest history dates back to 2003 when he was just 16 years old. Overall, he’s been arrested on felony charges 29 times and convicted 11 times. His prior offenses include burglary, grand theft, fraud and trafficking and possession of narcotics.
Per agency policy, Deputy Wengert will be placed on administrative assignment pending a review of the incident.
- INVESTIGATORS: Det. Tutler, CID Homicide; North Lauderdale; Crime Scene; Lauderhill PD; Lauderhill Fire Rescue
- THIS REPORT BY: Keyla Concepción/PIO 6/6/14 1130
- PIO 14-6-10 MAN DEAD AFTER OPENING FIRE ON A BSO DEPUTY - Steven Thompson
Translate This Page: