CARJACKING/KIDNAPPING SUSPECT CAUGHT
- PIO Number: 01-10-10 Case Number: PB01-10-04252
- Date: October 10, 2001
- Time: 0756 - 0826
- Place of Occurrence: Hammondville & Dixie, 2701 W. McNab, 1321 S. Powerline, Pompano Beach
- 1. Emilie St. Pierre, 41, 11/15/59, female, 115 NE 9 Street, Apt. 6, Pompano Beach
- 2. Chrislove St. Pierre, 3, 9/14/98, female, 115 NE 9 Street, Apt. 6, Pompano Beach
- 3. Rachell Merisier, 10 days, 10/1/01, female, 115 NE 9 Street, Apt. 6, Pompano
- Mary Denise Baker, 38, 6/3/63, female, 809 NW 4 Avenue, Pompano Beach
Description of Incident:
Broward Sheriff's Office deputies apprehended a carjacking suspect shortly after she stole a vehicle occupied with two very young victims in Pompano Beach Wednesday morning. No injuries were reported.
Shortly before 8:00 a.m., the suspect, Mary Denise Baker, approached the driver of a 1989 Chevrolet Corsica stopped at the railroad crossing at Hammondville Road and Dixie Highway. Baker told Emilie St. Pierre that she wanted her car. Baker removed St. Pierre from the car, jumped inside and headed west on Hammondville Road. St. Pierre flagged down a nearby public works employee for help.
Baker stopped in the parking lot of 2701 West McNab Road and placed 10 day old Rachell Merisier on the ground in her infant car seat. The suspect was attempting to remove Merisier’s sister, 3-year-old Chrislove St. Pierre, from the Corsica when a man approached and asked what was going on. The witness said Baker was talking irrationally and drove off with Chrislove still in the car.
A BSO deputy, who heard the description of the vehicle given out over police radios, spotted the suspect traveling south on Powerline Road. The deputy was able to pull Baker over in the parking lot of Union Planters Bank, located at 1321 South Powerline Road, and took her into custody without incident 8:26 a.m.
Emilie was reunited with her daughters, and Baker, who appeared to be under the influence of drugs, will be charged with carjacking and two counts of kidnapping.
- INVESTIGATORS: Deps. J. Sinks & J. Stabile, Dist. 11
- THIS REPORT BY: Veda Coleman-Wright/PIO
Posted At: 10/10/2001 11:06 AM
Translate This Page: