BSO SEEKS BOGUS BILL BANDIT
- PIO Number: 02-5-35
- Date: April 25, 2002, April 26, 2002 & May 2, 2002
- Place of Occurrence: 901 SW 10th St., Deerfield Beach (Mobil), 1011 S. Powerline Road, Deerfield Beach (Gas City), 1201 S. Military Trail, Deerfield Beach (Hess)
- Three Deerfield Beach gas stations and other businesses in Broward County
- Derrick Lamar Lewis, 24, 11/7/77, last known address of 130 NE 30th Ct., Pompano Beach
Description of Incident:
Broward Sheriff's Office detectives are looking for a rip-off artist who steals cash from businesses by presenting phony invoices.
The Bogus Bill Bandit, who BSO detectives identify as 24-year old Derrick Lamar Lewis, recently hit three gas stations in Deerfield Beach. He’s also a suspect in two similar crimes in Pompano Beach, one in Margate, and may have stolen a pickup truck from Plantation.
In most cases, Lewis enters a busy gas station and slips a counterfeit invoice on the counter while the clerk is distracted. Lewis then approaches the clerk and explains he is there to pick up money owed to his company, often telling the clerk that he spoke to the store manager and that there should be an invoice somewhere on the counter. After a brief search, the unsuspecting clerk finds the phony bill and, following some smooth talk from Lewis, pays it.
It appears that Lewis sets up his swindle by calling ahead to the store to find out the name of the manager so that he can use the name to gain credibility with the clerk. In one case where the clerk hesitated to pay the bogus bill, Lewis pretended to call the store manager on a cell phone and “smooth out” the problem, thereby easing any doubts the clerk may have had.
Lewis may be driving a stolen, black Ford Ranger pickup truck with a Florida tag of A93-FVS.
Detectives are asking anyone with information on The Bogus Bill Bandit to call Crime Stoppers at (954) 493-TIPS. A reward of up to $1,000.00 may be available for information leading to the arrest of Derrick Lamar Lewis.
- INVESTIGATORS: Dets. J. Hansen, J. Bower, & M. Gordon
- THIS REPORT BY: Hugh Graf / PIO 5/17/02 10:30 am
Posted At: 05/17/2002 10:28 AM
Translate This Page: