FATAL FIRE CLAIMS LIFE OF ELDERLY WOMAN
- BSO Case Number: DN12-01-0302/DN12-01-01502
- PIO Number: 12-1-15
- Date: January 22, 2012
- Time: 3:23 a.m.
- Place of Occurrence: 301 S.E. 3 St., unit 501, Dania Beach
- Jurisdiction: Dania Beach
- A 77-year-old female, name withheld pending notification of next of kin (DECEASED)
Description of Incident:
An elderly woman who Broward Sheriff’s Office firefighters rescued early Sunday morning from her burning condo has died.
BSO firefighters, paramedics and deputies responded to the six-story Meadowbrook Lakes condominiums at 301 S.E. 3 St. in Dania Beach after receiving a 911 call at 3:23 a.m. regarding a fire in one of the units. Firefighters battled the blaze which was confined to unit 501. They rescued the elderly woman who lived there alone.
Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue rushed the 77-year-old victim to Broward General Medical Center, and then she was flown by a BSO helicopter to Jackson Memorial Ryder Trauma Center in critical condition with burns over 60 percent of her body. She was pronounced dead shortly after 9 a.m. There were no other injuries reported, and investigators said the condo had no fire detectors.
The BSO Fire Marshal Bureau and the State Fire Marshal’s Office are investigating the cause of the fire. Foul play, however, is not suspected.
- INVESTIGATORS: BSO Fire Marshal Bureau, State Fire Marshal’s Office and BSO Violent Crimes Unit
- THIS REPORT BY: Veda Coleman-Wright/PIO January 22, 2012 1320 Dania Beach