DETECTIVES ARREST TWO IN SHOOTING AT 23-HOUR LOUNGE, TWO STILL AT LARGE
Posted At: 03/13/2014 02:49 PM
- BSO Case Number: 19-1403-000012
- PIO Number: 14-3-4A
- Date: March 1, 2014
- Time: 9:35 a.m.
- Place of Occurrence: Sweeney’s Lounge, 3200 W. Hallandale Beach Blvd., Pembroke Park
- Jurisdiction: Pembroke Park
- Andy Cruz, 23, male (INJURED)
- Markei Yale Smith, male, 27, 11/5/86, 2411 N.W. 7 St., #612, Ft. Lauderdale (IN CUSTODY)
- Marcellus Pinkney, male, 26, 10/12/87, 2310 Pierce St., #7, Hollywood (IN CUSTODY)
Description of Incident:
Broward Sheriff’s Office robbery detectives have arrested two people in connection with a recent shooting at a 23-hour lounge that left one man with a gunshot wound to his thigh. They continue to search for two more suspects.
Markei Smith of Ft. Lauderdale and Marcellus Pinkney of Hollywood were arrested Wednesday, March 12 by Hallandale Beach Police officers who knew they were wanted by BSO. Each was charged with robbery with a firearm and aggravated battery causing bodily harm. While both were involved with the shooting, neither was the triggerman, detectives say. Smith was also charged with battery on a police dog and two counts of resisting arrest without violence.
The shooting happened just after 9:30 a.m. March 1 at Sweeney’s Lounge in Pembroke Park. Surveillance video shows that revelers winding down a night of partying were hanging out around the bar and pool table when 23-year-old Andy Cruz and his 19-year-old girlfriend, Jillian Terrero, walked outside after a group of young men. According to Cruz, one of the men offered to sell him drugs. Cruz declined, and an argument ensued. Then one snatched Terrero’s cell phone from her hands and fired two shots at her. Both missed Terrero, but Cruz was shot once in the upper thigh. He was treated and later released from the hospital.
Anyone with information about the suspects is asked to contact Detective Theo Woulard at (954) 321-4270 or report anonymous tips to Crime Stoppers of Broward County at 954-493-TIPS (8477) or online at www.browardcrimestoppers.org. Crime Stoppers will pay up to $3,000 for information that leads to an arrest.
Media Note: Surveillance video is available for download at www.sheriff.org.
- INVESTIGATORS: Robbery Det. Woulard, CID; Pembroke Park, Hallandale Beach PD
- THIS REPORT BY: Dani Moschella/PIO Pembroke Park 3/13/2014 1500
Translate This Page: