SUSPECT CHARGED IN FATAL SHOOTING OF TOW TRUCK DRIVER
- BSO Case Number: 04-1308-03210
- PIO Number: 13-8-9A
- Date: August 6, 2013
- Time: 2:51 p.m.
- Place of Occurrence: St. Croix Apartments, 4150 NW 34 St., Lauderdale Lakes
- Jurisdiction: Lauderdale Lakes
- David Herr, 36, male, 1/17/1977, 5840 Atlanta St., Hollywood (DECEASED)
- Triston Johnson, male, 31, 2/13/82, 4200 N.W. 34 St., Apt. 402, Lauderdale Lakes (HOSPITALIZED)
Description of Incident:
The 31-year-old man who killed a tow truck driver Tuesday as the driver was trying to tow his illegally-parked Jaguar has been charged in his death and for firing shots at a Broward Sheriff’s Office deputy.
Triston Johnson has been charged with murder and attempted murder of a law enforcement officer. He was shot by BSO Deputy Michael Ryan during the incident but is expected to recover. Ryan was not injured and, as per BSO policy, has been placed on administrative leave.
At the request of the St. Croix apartment complex, All County Towing had been removing vehicles that were illegally parked. Employee David Herr was in the process of towing Johnson’s 2001 Jaguar S-Type just before 3 p.m. when Johnson confronted him. Johnson shot Herr twice. Deputies and Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue personnel tried to save Herr, but their efforts were futile and he died at the scene.
When Deputy Ryan arrived at the apartment complex, he encountered Johnson. They exchanged gunfire, and Johnson was hit once. He was airlifted to Broward Health Medical Center in critical condition. BSO Homicide and Internal Affairs detectives are investigating the incident.
- INVESTIGATORS: Det. Tutler, Sgt. Feeley, CID Homicide; Lauderdale Lakes, Crime Scene, BSFR
- THIS REPORT BY: Dani Moschella/PIO 8/7/13 1140
Posted At: 08/07/2013 11:33 AM
Translate This Page: