CONSTRUCTION WORKER DIES WHILE WORKING UNDERWATER
- BSO Case Number: 08-1406-000701
- PIO Number: 14-6-13
- Date: June 10, 2014
- Time: 12:23 p.m.
- Place of Occurrence: Bonaventure Boulevard just south of Indian Trace, Weston
- Jurisdiction: Weston
- Ernesto Rodriguez, male, 11/11/68, 45, 7858 W. 34 Lane, Hialeah (DECEASED)
Description of Incident:
A construction worker diving in a large ditch filled with water Tuesday afternoon died after he failed to surface and a coworker pulled him out. Ernesto Rodriguez, 45, of Hialeah was pronounced dead a short time later at Cleveland Clinic.
The call came in at 12:23 p.m. when Rodriguez, who was working for Ric-Man Construction, Inc. in Pompano Beach, was working on an underwater pipe and didn’t resurface. A coworker jumped in to attempt to rescue him but couldn’t find him. On the third attempt, the co-worker found him and pulled him out. Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue transported him by ground to Cleveland Clinic. Rodriguez was pronounced dead at 1:07 p.m.
BSO homicide and crime scene detectives are investigating. The Broward County Medical Examiner’s Office will determine the cause and manner of death. The Occupational Safety & Health Administration is also investigating.
- INVESTIGATORS: Homicide Det. Scott, Sgt. Champagne; BSFR; Crime Scene
- THIS REPORT BY: Dani Moschella/PIO 6/10/14 1715
Posted At: 06/10/2014 05:15 PM
Translate This Page: