CONGRESSMAN'S BROTHER IN CUSTODY
- Updated: 7/21/01 9:49:38 AM
- BSO Case Number: DN01-07-21002272
- PIO Number: 01-7-43
- Date: 12/4/95) was working an off-duty security detail in the parking lot of the Red Carpet Inn when a van matching the description of one being driven by Condit, pulled into the motel parking lot around 3:30 AM. Dep. Perry recognized the blue grey 1992 Toyota Previa from a flyer being circulated by BSO detectives to all BSO deputies countywide. Dep. Perry knew Condit was wanted on a July 1997 felony warrant out of Key West for driving on a suspended license and DUI. Dep. Perry immediately showed the flyer to motel manager Robert Keller, and asked him to see if Condit’s picture resembled the man checking in at the registration desk. The manager signaled the deputy, indicating he thought it was Condit. Dep. Perry called for back up, then waited in the parking lot for Condit to return to the van. When Condit got in the driver’s seat, Dep. Perry approached him and asked for identification. He produced a Florida identification card bearing the name Stanley Buchanan. Dep. Perry recognized the name and asked him to step out of the van. When Condit refused, Dep. Perry and his back-up removed him, placed him on the pavement and handcuffed him. A small amount of marijuana was removed from his right front pocket. Condit is being charged with violation of probation for the Key West warrant, resisting arrest without violence, false identification on a Florida ID card, driving on a suspended license, and misdemeanor possession of cannabis. He will be held without bond at the Broward County main jail, awaiting transport to Monroe County. Condit is the brother of California Congressman Gary Condit.
- Time: 3:30 AM
- Place of Occurrence: Red Carpet Inn, 2460 State Road 84, Dania Beach
- State of Florida
- Darrell Wayne Condit (aka Stanley Buchanan), 49, 1/1/52, male, at large
Description of Incident:
Good police work by an alert Broward Sheriff's Office deputy resulted in the arrest of Darrell Wayne Condit early Saturday morning at a Dania Beach motel.
BSO Deputy Art Perry (hire
- INVESTIGATORS: BSO Fugitive Unit, Criminal Investigations Division, Media Relations: Veda Coleman-Wright, Cheryl Stopnick
- Photo of Condit - Photo of Condit
Translate This Page: