ELDERLY DRIVER'S CAR STRUCK BY TRAIN
- BSO Case Number: 11-1405-008001
- PIO Number: 14-5-26
- Date: May 31, 2014
- Time: 8:57 a.m.
- Place of Occurrence: 500 E. Sample Road, Pompano Beach
- Jurisdiction: Pompano Beach
- Driver 1: Simone D'Alessio, 90, male, 318 Capri G, Delray Beach
Description of Incident:
An elderly man was killed this morning in Pompano Beach when he drove his car past the train crossing gates, onto the tracks and was struck by a train. Broward Sheriff's Office Traffic Homicide detectives are investigation the fatal accident.
Simone D’Alessio was traveling southbound on N. Dixie Highway in the designated left turn lane approaching the intersection of E. Sample Road. As D’Alessio began to make a left turn at the intersection his 2014 Toyota Corolla was struck by the train. The Florida East Coast Freight Train #103 had been traveling southbound on the tracks that run parallel with N. Dixie Highway. The crossing gates were in the down position prior to the crash. After the initial impact, D'Alessio's car rotated counterclockwise and came to rest after colliding with the railroad stanchion.
Pompano Beach Fire Rescue transported the driver to Broward Health North where he was pronounced deceased at 9:40 a.m.
- INVESTIGATORS: BSO THI Det. Kelliher and Det. Wiley
- THIS REPORT BY: Gina Carter PIO 5/31/14 1600
Translate This Page: