- BSO Case Number: PB02-04-6448
- PIO Number: 02-4-28
- Date: April 16, 2002
- Time: 1137
- Place of Occurrence: 3573 North Federal Highway, Pompano Beach
- 45-year-old white male, name withheld pending notification of next of kin (DECEASED)
- Douglas J. Williamson, 39, 8/28/62, male, 4080 N. Federal Highway, Lighthouse Point
Description of Incident:
One man is dead and another is in custody after a Broward Sheriff's Office deputy spotted the two newspaper vendors fighting in the parking lot of a Pompano Beach convenience store Tuesday morning.
Around 11:30 a.m., BSO Dep. Michael Lord saw the two adult males involved in a physical altercation in the parking lot of Walgreens, located at 3573 North Federal Highway.
The 45-year-old victim was transported by Pompano Beach Fire Rescue to North Broward Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead at 12:20 p.m. His name is being withheld while BSO homicide detectives attempt to notify his next of kin. The suspect, 39-year-old Douglas Williamson, also known as Maddog, was taken into custody at the scene.
The Broward County Medical Examiner’s Office will determine the cause and manner of death. BSO homicide detectives will continue to investigate. Charges are pending. The nature of the argument was not immediately known. Anyone who may have witnessed the scuffle, or has information surrounding the deadly confrontation between the two Sun-Sentinel vendors, is urged to call BSO homicide detectives Tim Duggan or Eli Thomasevich at (954) 321-4210.
- INVESTIGATORS: Sgt. B. O’Neil, Det. T. Duggan & Det. E. Thomasevich
- THIS REPORT BY: Veda Coleman-Wright/PIO
- Photo of Suspect - Suspect Douglas Williamson