TRAFFIC FATALITY IN DANIA BEACH
- BSO Case Number: DN02-05-2561
- PIO Number: 02-5-48
- Date: May 23, 2002
- Time: 0748
- Place of Occurrence: Near the intersection of Stirling Rd. and Federal Highway in Dania Beach
- Michael McNamara, 52, 5/23/50, male, 1840 Fillmore Street, Hollywood (DECEASED)
- Ricardo Fernandez, 27, 3/11/75, male, 1402 North 16 Avenue, Hollywood
Description of Incident:
Broward Sheriff's Office Traffic Homicide detectives are investigating the death of a newspaper vendor who was struck and killed by a motorist on his birthday this morning.
The fatal crash occurred near the intersection of Stirling Road and Federal Highway in Dania Beach. Ricardo Fernandez was driving northbound on Federal Highway in his 1990 Oldsmobile when he approached Stirling Road shortly before 8 a.m. Thursday. Fernandez attempted to turn left onto Stirling Road when he struck Michael McNamara, who was standing on or near the median.
McNamara, a Herald vendor who turned 52 today, died at the scene.
BSO’s Traffic Homicide Unit will continue to investigate the circumstances surrounding the crash. Charges are pending.
- INVESTIGATORS: Sgt. Hodges, CI
- THIS REPORT BY: Veda Coleman-Wright/PIO
Translate This Page: