MURDER ARREST Confrontation over TV leads to death
- BSO Case Number: BS02-08-11669
- PIO Number: 02-9-35
- Date: August 24, 2002
- Time: 2346
- Place of Occurrence: 2911 NW 11 Place, uninc. Central Broward near Ft. Lauderdale
- Vanda Cooper, 42, 11/4/59, male, 2911 NW 11 Place, uninc. Central Broward Near Fort Lauderdale (DECEASED)
- Diedrick Stanley, 21, 6/1/81, male, 1981 NW 43 Terrace, apt. 348, Lauderhill
Description of Incident:
A Broward man is behind bars and faces a murder charge for killing another man over a television set.
Diedrick Stanley was arrested Monday in the 900 block of NW 10 Avenue in Fort Lauderdale by Broward Sheriff's Office homicide detectives on a murder warrant.
Last month Stanley accused the victim, Vanda Cooper, of breaking into his home and stealing his T.V. set. On August 24th shortly before midnight, Stanley forced his way inside Cooper’s apartment, located at 2911 NW 11 Place in unincorporated Central Broward near Fort Lauderdale, and demanded the return of his 36-inch television.
An altercation broke out between the two men. Stanley shot Cooper in the chest and fled the scene in a maroon Chevrolet suburban. BSO deputies and Aggravated Felonies detectives responded to the scene to investigate, while Cooper was transported to Broward General Medical Center in critical condition.
Aggravated Felony detectives turned the case over to the BSO Homicide Unit when Cooper died on August 31st. The Medical Examiner’s Office confirmed Cooper died as a result of the gunshot wound to the chest and ruled his death a homicide on September 2nd.
Stanley remains in BSO’s Main Jail on a no bond hold.
- INVESTIGATORS: Homicide Det. R. Libman, Aggravated Fel. Det. L. Moore, and Homicide Sgt. B. O’Neil, CI
- THIS REPORT BY: Veda Coleman-Wright/PIO
- Photo of Suspect - Diedrick Stanley
Translate This Page: