AGGRAVATED BATTERY AGAINST DEPUTY
- Updated: 7/23/01 11:50:47 AM
- BSO Case Number: BS01-07-11595
- PIO Number: 01-7-41
- Date: July 23, 2001
- Time: 3:19 a.m.
- Place of Occurrence: 700 block of NW 27 Avenue near Fort Lauderdale
- State of Florida
- BSO Dep. Michael Dingman, 31, (hire date 1/2/96)
- Michael A. Johnson, 21, 9/11/79, last known address 2217 NW 56 Avenue, Lauderhill (AT LARGE)
Description of Incident:
A Lauderhill man, who tried to run over a Broward Sheriff's deputy while fleeing a bail bondsman early Monday morning, is still on the loose.
Shortly after 3 a.m. a bail bondsman called the BSO seeking assistance with the apprehension of a suspect, who has a felony warrant for trafficking cocaine. BSO deputies spotted the 1990 blue 4-door Buick in the area of the 700 block of NW 27 Avenue near Fort Lauderdale.
The suspect, 21-year-old Michael A. Johnson, continued to flee north on 27 Avenue with BSO deputies following. Johnson then headed east on Sunrise Boulevard, where he stopped. When BSO Dep. Michael Dingman attempted to make a traffic stop, Johnson rammed a marked BSO unit positioned in front of the Buick. Johnson then backed up the Buick , traveling at a high rate of speed, directly in the path of Dep. Dingman. Fearing for his safety, Dep. Dingman was forced to discharge his service weapon. No injuries were reported.
Johnson’s vehicle was later located at 2751 NW 10 Place near Fort Lauderdale. A perimeter was set up and deputies used K-9 to search the area. Unfortunately, Johnson was not located.
Anyone who knows the whereabouts of Michael A. Johnson is asked to call BSO Aggravated Felonies Det. Alexander Coto at (954) 321-4224 or call Broward Crime Stoppers at (954) 493-TIPS.
- INVESTIGATORS: Det. Alexander Coto and PIO Veda Coleman-Wright
- Photo of Johnson - Photo of Johnson