ARRESTS: BAR FIGHT & FATAL CRASH
- BSO Case Number: DN01-09-233 (Update)
- PIO Number: 01-9-2
- Date: September 3, 2001
- Time: 12:49 am
- Place of Occurrence: Shooting: Chubb’s Place, 104 NW 5 Ave., Dania Beach Car Crash: NW 2 St. & 4 Ave., Dania Beach
- Germaine Hall, 26, 9/25/74, male, 3116 NW 19 St., Ft. Laud. (DECEASED)
- Name withheld, 22, female, W. Palm Beach (DECEASED)
- Joseph Bradley, 37, 3/1/64, male
- Taneka Williams, 22, 5/28/79, female
- Sheila Williams, 21, 8/31/80, female
- Willie Monroe Holmes, 41, 3/13/60, male, 256 NE 47 St., Ft. Laud.
- Adrian Smith, 26, 10/18/74, male, 104 NW 14 Ave., Dania Beach
Description of Incident:
A Dania Beach bar owner was charged today (Monday) with two counts of murder and three counts of attempted murder after he deliberately caused a fatal car crash following an early morning shooting at his tavern.
The shooting occurred at about 12:45 a.m. at Chubb’s Place. Taneka Williams and an unidentified woman were arguing over a man when Williams’ friend, Germaine Hall, 26, came to her aid. Chubb’s Place owner Willie Holmes, 41, told Hall to stay outside. Hall pulled a gun and fired from the doorway, grazing the head of Clarence Holmes, 39, the bar owner’s brother.
Hall and his four companions immediately fled in a Chevrolet, driven by Hall. Willie Holmes jumped in his Jeep and pursued the Chevy. At the intersection of NW 2nd Street and 4th Avenue, Holmes deliberately drove his Jeep into the side of the Chevrolet, killing Hall and his front seat passenger, a 22-year-old Palm Beach County woman. Holmes was not hurt.
Moments after the fatal crash, Adrian Smith, 26, arrived, having followed both vehicles from the bar. Smith pulled a gun and fired a round into the Chevy’s back seat, where Joseph Bradley, Taneka Williams and Sheila Williams were lying critically injured. No one was hit and Smith fled the scene. Deputies caught Smith minutes later and he was charged with Shooting into an Occupied Vehicle, Possession of a Firearm by a Convicted Felon, and Tampering with Evidence.
Willie Holmes, charged with murder and attempted murder, is being held without bond in the Broward County Jail. The dead woman’s name is being withheld until next of kin are notified.
- THIS REPORT BY: Sgt. R. O’Neil, Dets. R. Carmody & G. Bukata Jim Leljedal / PIO 9/3/01 1600
Translate This Page: