WOMAN DIES IN CHAIN-REACTION CRASH
- BSO Case Number: 07-1707-002675
- PIO Number: 17-7-23
- Date: July 25, 2017
- Time: 9:18 a.m.
- Jurisdiction: Tamarac
- Place of Occurrence: 7700 N. Pine Island Rd., Tamarac
- Driver 1: Pauline Madramootoo, 50, female, Tamarac
- Driver 2: Karen E. Sweeting, 31, female, Tamarac (DECEASED)
- Driver 3: Howard M. Meltzer, 54, male, Cooper City
- Driver 4: Virjen M. Sanchez, 41, female, Opa Locka
- Driver 5: Sandra Carty, 62, female, Sunrise
Description of Incident:
Broward Sheriff’s Office Traffic Homicide Investigations Unit detectives are investigating a multivehicle fatal crash that took place just after 9 a.m. July 25 in Tamarac.
Pauline Madramootoo was driving a 2012 Nissan Altima northbound on Pine Island Road in the right lane approaching N.W. 77th Street. Four other drivers (Karen Sweeting, Howard Meltzer, Virjen Sanchez and Sandra Carty) were each waiting at the red traffic light in the northbound right lane.
Madramootoo’s Nissan struck the rear of Sweeting’s 2016 Honda CRV which caused a chain-reaction collision involving all five drivers. The initial impact caused the front of Sweeting’s CRV to strike the rear of Meltzer’s 2010 Ford F-150. The F-150 then struck the rear of Sanchez’s 2009 Toyota Scion causing the Scion to strike the rear of Carty’s 1999 Acura RL.
Tamarac Fire Rescue responded and transported Madramootoo and Sweeting to Broward Health North. Sweeting died at the hospital approximately an hour after the crash. Madramootoo was treated for injuries which were not life threatening.
The THI investigation is ongoing.
- INVESTIGATORS: THI Dets. Kelliher and Wiley
- THIS REPORT BY: Gina Carter PIO 7/28/2017 830
Posted At: 07/27/2017 04:01 PM
Translate This Page: