BSO DETECTIVES SOLVE JANUARY MURDER
- BSO Case Number: PB13-01-6933
- PIO Number: 13-03-3
- Date: January 20, 2013
- Time: between 4:30 and 5:30 a.m.
- Place of Occurrence: 1800 block of Hammondville Road, Pompano Beach
- Jurisdiction: Pompano Beach
- Fernando Garnica, male, 37, 8/30/75, 2020 Hammondville Road, Pompano Beach (DECEASED)
- Alfredo Mariano, male, 17, 9/23/95, 828 NE 11th Ave. #1E, Pompano Beach (IN CUSTODY)
Description of Incident:
When the Broward Medical Examiner’s Office notified BSO homicide detectives of a death on January 26, nearly a week had passed since the beating that caused it. After a lot of investigation and leg-work, the detectives were able to piece together what happened and who was responsible.
On Saturday, they arrested 17-year-old Alfredo Mariano of Pompano Beach on a first-degree, felony murder charge. Detectives believe that on the night of January 20, the teen offered to give 37-year-old Fernando Garnica and his roommate a ride. Sometime between 4:30 and 5:30 a.m., Mariano stopped to beat and rob the two men. He took cash and the roommate’s Jeep Cherokee.
The two victims never called 911. Instead, they went home, where Garnica’s injuries got worse for days. On January 25, the two men asked a friend to call 911 for medical help. Garnica died the next day at the hospital. Detectives believe the two victims, who are both in the country illegally from Mexico, feared possible legal trouble or deportation if they called authorities. That fear was unfounded.
Anyone with more information about this homicide can report it to Det. Kevin Forsberg at (954) 321-4210. To report an anonymous tip to Crime Stoppers of Broward County, call 954-493-TIPS (8477) or visit www.BrowardCrimeStoppers.org online.
- INVESTIGATORS: Homicide Dets. Forsberg, Perez; Sgt. Ellwood, CID
- THIS REPORT BY: Dani Moschella/PIO 03/04/13 1600