PROSTITUTE CHARGED WITH MURDER
- BSO Case Number: BS02-05-13770
- PIO Number: 02-6-16
- Date: May 30, 2002
- Place of Occurrence: 2800 block of NW 11th Place, unincorporated Broward
- Michael Holmes, 31, 7/24/70, 2691 NW 6th Court, Pompano Beach
- Betty Copeland Scott, 41, 9/19/60, no known permanent address
Description of Incident:
Broward Sheriff's Office Homicide detectives are charging an admitted prostitute with the murder last month of a Pompano Beach man.
Investigators say 41-year old Betty Copeland Scott, known on the streets as “Pat”, admitted to stabbing 31-year old Michael Holmes in the early morning hours of May 30, 2002.
At about 11:00 p.m. on May 29th, Holmes, of 2691 NW 6th Court , visited the home of a relative who lived not far from the victim. That relative told BSO detectives that Holmes left about two and a half hours later.
At about 3:30 the next morning, Holmes’ car, crashed into a tree in the 2800 block of NW 11th Place in unincorporated Broward. When emergency workers arrived moments later, Holmes was already dead from a stab wound to the chest.
Detectives interviewed a number of people before deciding that they wanted to speak with “Pat”. Shortly after 7:00 a.m. on June 19, 2002, investigators met with “Pat” at BSO district five headquarters. During an interview, “Pat” admitted that she had met with Holmes the morning of the murder and that the two had engaged in a sex act. She told detectives that she stabbed Holmes with a steak knife after the two argued over money.
Betty Copeland Scott is being held in the Broward Sheriff's Office main jail on an open count of murder.
- INVESTIGATORS: Dets. F. Ilarraza & R. Libman
- THIS REPORT BY: Hugh Graf / PIO 6/19//02 4:00 pm
- Betty Copeland Scott - Betty Copeland Scott
Translate This Page: