SCHOOL BURGLARS ARRESTED
- BSO Case Number: PB12-06-07297
- PIO Number: 12-6-33
- Date: June 25, 2012
- Time: 11:31 p.m.
- Place of Occurrence: Cypress Elementary School, 851 S.W. 3 Ave., Pompano Beach
- Jurisdiction: Pompano Beach
- 1. Cypress Elementary School, 851 S.W. 3 Ave., Pompano Beach
- 2. Hector Garcia, Pompano Beach
- 1. Anthony Peck, 18, 7/1/93, male, 240 S.W. 8 St., Pompano Beach
- 2. Demetrius Gibson, 20, 8/18/91, male, 641 S.W. 8 St., Pompano Beach
Description of Incident:
Broward Sheriff’s Office deputies didn’t have to go far to find two men who burglarized a Pompano Beach elementary school Monday night. The duo left a trail of evidence and was arrested at a house near the school.
BSO investigators said Anthony Peck, 18, and Demetrius Gibson, 20, both of Pompano Beach, used a hammer to break a window on a door at Cypress Elementary School about 11:30 p.m., June 25. Once inside room 513, the suspects stole a 46 inch television, computer monitor with keyboard and a DVD player.
Deputies were dispatched to the school, located at 851 S.W. 3 Ave. in Pompano Beach, in response to a silent alarm. As deputies arrived, they immediately established a perimeter. BSO’s aviation and K-9 units also responded.
A canine tracked the suspects to the southeast side of the school. The track led deputies to the Lyons Park neighborhood next to the school. Along the track, deputies found some of the stolen property that led them to a nearby residence. The suspects were found hiding in some bushes in the fenced-in backyard of Hector Garcia’s property in the 900 block of Southwest 3 Avenue. Peck and Gibson were taken into custody and arrested on burglary and grand theft charges. The total value of the stolen items is $2,000.
INVESTIGATORS: Dep. T. Cenno, Pompano Beach (report)
THIS REPORT BY: Veda Coleman-Wright/PIO June 27, 2012 1315