PEDESTRIAN KILLED AFTER EXHIBITING ERRATIC BEHAVIOR
- BSO Case Number: 90-1707-005721
- PIO Number: 17-7-17
- Date: July 16, 2017
- Time: 10:38 p.m.
- Jurisdiction: Pompano Beach
- Place of Occurrence: 2320 West Atlantic Blvd., Pompano Beach
- Pedestrian: Dwayne Castiglione, 41, male, 3/19/76, 8280 Business Park Drive, Port Saint Lucie (DECEASED)
- Driver(s): Keith Toney, 36, male, Pompano Beach
Description of Incident:
Broward Sheriff’s Office Traffic Homicide Investigations Unit detectives are investigating a fatal accident Sunday night in Pompano Beach. The victim had been acting erratically minutes before the accident.
Just after 10:30 p.m. July 16, Keith Toney was stopped at a gas pump at 2320 West Atlantic Blvd., Pompano Beach. After fueling his 2013 Impala LT, he began to drive forward and felt his car go over a bump. He assumed something was wrong with one of his tires and got out to take a look. Toney saw Dwayne Castiglione stuck under his car. For an unknown reason the pedestrian had sat or lain down in front of Toney’s car.
Toney called out for help and used a bystander’s car jack to lift the car. He was able to recover Castiglione. Pompano Beach Fire Rescue responded and transported Castiglione to Broward Health North where he was pronounced dead.
Moments before the accident, Castiglione had been screaming and jumping on the gas station’s garbage dumpsters. He had also been sitting and lying in the busy gas station parking lot in the path of cars.
Detectives do not believe driver impairment, excessive speed or mechanical failures played a part in the accident. The investigation is ongoing.
- INVESTIGATORS: THI Dets. Clifton & Huneke
- THIS REPORT BY: Gina Carter/PIO 7/17/17 1200
Posted At: 07/17/2017 11:51 AM
Translate This Page: