MURDER/SUICIDE IN OAKLAND PARK
- BSO Case Number: OP02-11-12904
- PIO Number: 02-11-8
- Date: November 8, 2002
- Time: 0922
- Place of Occurrence: 4430 NE 17 Terrace, Oakland Park
- Joseph Mills, 72, 7/9/30, male, 4430 NE 17 Terrace, Oakland Park (DECEASED)
- Lila Mills, 92, 9/10/10, female, 4430 NE 17 Terrace, Oakland Park (DECEASED)
Description of Incident:
A Cape Coral woman, who returned to her parents’ house after picking up her dog from the groomer, found the couple deceased in their Oakland Park home Friday morning.
Broward Sheriff's Office homicide detectives are investigating the apparent murder/suicide that occurred in the 4400 block of NE 17 Terrace. The elderly couple’s daughter, Sherald
Coy, said she left the house around 8:45 a.m. and when she returned at approximately 9:20 a.m., she found her stepmother and father in the master bedroom. No one else was home at the time of the incident.
BSO deputies and Oakland Park Fire Rescue workers responded to the scene. Rescue workers pronounced Joseph and Lila Mills dead at the scene. The official cause of death will be determined by the Broward Medical Examiner’s Office.
According to Coy, her stepmother’s health had been declining for some time, and her father had a history of medical problems as well. Detectives also hope to learn more about why Joseph shot his wife then himself from his suicide note left at the scene.
- INVESTIGATORS: Sgts. Murray & O’Neil, and Dets. Duggan & Nicholson, CI
- THIS REPORT BY: Veda Coleman-Wright/PIO
Translate This Page: