BSO DEPUTY DIES IN MOTORCYCLE CRASH
- BSO Case Number: OP12-01-00079
- PIO Number: 12-1-1
- Date: January 1, 2012
- Time: 12:31 p.m.
- Place of Occurrence: 300 block of East Commercial Blvd., Oakland Park
- Jurisdiction: Oakland Park
- BSO Deputy John Blackwelder, 45, assigned to BSO’s Pompano Beach District (DECEASED)
- Stajka Vangov, 75, female, Fort Lauderdale
Description of Incident:
The Broward Sheriff’s Office is mourning the death of one of its own this New Year’s Day after a deputy became the victim of a fatal two-vehicle crash.
At approximately 12:30 p.m., Deputy John Blackwelder, who was off-duty at the time, was riding his personal 2010 Honda café-style motorcycle westbound on East Commercial Boulevard. BSO traffic homicide detectives said an eastbound 2004, four-door Cadillac, driven by 75-year-old Stajka Vangov, made a left-hand turn into the path of the motorcycle at Northeast 3 Avenue.
Dep. Blackwelder struck the Cadillac on the right rear passenger door. He came to rest in the roadway. Paramedics from Oakland Park Fire Rescue pronounced him dead on scene at 12:38 p.m. No other injuries were reported.
Dep. Blackwelder, who was wearing his helmet, was originally with BSO from August 2000 until July 2007, and he was rehired January 19, 2010. He leaves behind a loving family including his two children.
The crash remains under investigation.
MEDIA NOTE: AN EMPLOYEE PHOTO OF DEP. BLACKWELDER IS ATTACHED TO THIS NEWS RELEASE AT WWW.SHERIFF.ORG.
- INVESTIGATORS: THI Dets. J. Grimes and C. DeJesus, Patrol Services and THI Lt. L. Akers, Patrol Services
- THIS REPORT BY: Veda Coleman-Wright/PIO Oakland Park January 1, 2012 1700
Translate This Page: