DAYTIME BURGLARS NABBED AS THEY WALK OUT OF VICTIM’S HOUSE
Posted At: 03/12/2014 11:31 AM
BSO’S V.I.P.E.R. UNIT TARGETED CRIMINALS
- BSO Case Number: BS14-03-1048
- PIO Number: 14-3-14
- Date: March 11, 2014
- Time: 11:30 a.m.
- Place of Occurrence: 1400 block of Sunset Way, Weston
- Jurisdiction: Weston
- Linda Malbec, female, 50, Weston
- Gabriel Soto, male, 19, 9-8-94, 734 SW 2 St. #2, Miami (IN CUSTODY)
- Brandon Anthony Guerrero, male, 19, 7/31/94, 1615 SW 40 Ave., Coral Gables (IN CUSTODY)
- Tiwana Sharice Jackson, female, 23, 4/27/90, 1541 NE 43 Ct., Pompano Beach (IN CUSTODY)
Description of Incident:
Three young criminals picked a house in a nice Weston neighborhood and then planned their crime, a daytime burglary done on a Tuesday afternoon while the residents were at work and the house was deserted. But the sticky-fingered trio with lengthy criminal histories didn’t factor in one thing: the Broward Sheriff’s Office knew of their plans, had contacted the homeowner and detectives would be waiting for them outside.
“This is intelligence-led policing at its best,” Sheriff Scott Israel said. “This is why I created the V.I.P.E.R. Unit, to target active criminals with histories like these three have. The detectives knew these suspects were going to commit a crime before they even drove into Broward County. This is one of the reasons why the rate of violent crime has dropped in this county.”
Around noon Tuesday, 23-year-old Tiwana Jackson walked up to the house in the Savanna neighborhood in Weston and knocked on the door. When no one answered, her cohorts, Gabriel Soto and Brandon Guerrero, both 19, slipped in through a sliding-glass door while she acted as a lookout. They stole a safe, jewelry and cash.
Detectives with BSO’s Violence Intervention Proactive Enforcement Response (VIPER) Unit, BSO’s Burglary Apprehension Team (BAT) Task Force and Weston district deputies arrested them afterward. Each was charged with burglary of an unoccupied dwelling and grand theft. Each has been arrested before for robbery and burglary. Soto’s history also includes grand theft auto, and armed carjacking. Guerrero’s includes grand theft, grand theft auto and armed robberies. Jackson has been charged with grand theft in the past, as well.
To report tips that may help BSO’s BAT Task Force to combat burglaries, call at (954) 321-4796
or report anonymous tips to Broward County Crime Stoppers at 954-493-TIPS (8477) or to www.browardcrimestoppers.org online. Crime Stoppers will pay up to $3,000 for information that leads to an arrest. Media Note: A clear video is available for download at www.sheriff.org.
- INVESTIGATORS: BAT, VIPER, D8
- THIS REPORT BY: Dani Moschella/PIO 3/12/14 1215
- PIO 14-3-14 Brandon Guerrero
- PIO 14-3-14 Tiwana Jackson
- PIO 14-3-14 Gabriel Soto
- PIO 14-3-14 VIPER - Three young criminals picked a house in a nice Weston neighborhood and then planned their crime, a daytime burglary done on a Tuesday afternoon while the residents were at work and the house was deserted. But the sticky-fingered trio with lengthy criminal histories didn’t factor in one thing: the Broward Sheriff’s Office knew of their plans, had contacted the homeowner and detectives would be waiting for them outside.
Translate This Page: