DANIA BEACH SHOOTER IS IN CUSTODY
- BSO Case Number: 02-1408-00946
- PIO Number: 14-8-6b
- Date: August 8, 2014
- Time: 10:57 p.m.
- Place of Occurrence: 46 N.W. 10 Ct., Dania Beach
- Jurisdiction: Dania Beach
- Brandon Jones, 19, 11/16/94, 1431 N.W. 15 Ave., Ft. Lauderdale (DECEASED)
- Louis Simonds, male, 24, Hallandale Beach (INJURED)
- Devante Deas, male, 21, 10/7/92, 21 N.W. 10 Ct., Apt. #8, Dania Beach
Description of Incident:
He cut his dreadlocks off and tried to keep a low profile since Friday night, but the community in which Devante Deas shot and killed a 19-year-old college student wasn’t such a great place to hide from law enforcement.
As the Broward Sheriff’s Office SWAT/Fugitive unit, a U.S. Marshals Task Force, BSO detectives, deputies, K-9 and Aviation units searched for Deas, anonymous tips began to pour in. Witnesses talked to homicide detectives. Someone left a handwritten note on the victim’s sister’s car naming Deas.
Just four days after the shooting that killed 19-year-old Brandon Jones and injured his friend, Louis Simonds, Deas’ family members made arrangements for him to turn himself in to face one charge of first-degree murder and one of attempted murder. He surrendered to BSO at 9 p.m. Tuesday night.
The incident happened around 11 p.m. August 8 at the Gulfstream Apartments in Dania Beach. BSO detectives say it started when Deas and another man were walking by Jones and Simonds. Deas said, “Do you have a problem?”
Then he approached them, pulled out a handgun and tried to rob the group. Then he shot Jones in the torso, and as Simonds turned to run, he shot him once and then stood over him and shot him a second time. Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue transported them to Memorial Regional Hospital, where Jones was pronounced dead.
Simonds is expected to survive.
- INVESTIGATORS: Homicide Dets. Libman, Curcio; Sgt. Ellwood; BSFR; BSO Crime Scene
- THIS REPORT BY: Dani Moschella/PIO 8/13/14 1345
Posted At: 08/13/2014 01:42 PM
Translate This Page: