POSSIBLE SHARK ATTACK INJURES MAN
- PIO Number: 02-4-3 BSO Case Numbers: BS02-04-219 & LS02-04-007
- Date: April 1, 2002
- Place of Occurrence: 4300 block of El Mar Drive, Lauderdale-By-The-Sea
- Matthew May, 2/27/73, 28, 417 W. Main St., Coldwater, Ohio
Description of Incident:
An Ohio man swimming off the shore of Lauderdale-By-The-Sea may need a skin graft after being bitten by what may have been a shark.
Shortly after 11:30 the morning of Monday, April 01, 2002, an off-duty BSO deputy made contact with 28-year old Matthew May of Coldwater, Ohio. May was driving in the 600 block of East Commercial Boulevard, looking for a hospital. He explained to the deputy that something had bitten him on the upper left arm moments earlier as he swam in chest-high water near his hotel, the Pier Point resort, 4320 El Mar Drive.
Mr. May told a deputy that he didn’t see what had bitten him, but that he did strike the animal to get it to let go of his arm.
The deputy called for paramedics, who transported May to North Ridge Medical Center.
Mr. May’s injuries do not appear to be life threatening.
- INVESTIGATORS: Deputy R. Potenza
- THIS REPORT BY: Hugh Graf / PIO 4/1//02 2:00 pm 2/5/02 1:30 pm
Translate This Page: