UPDATE: OFFICER-INVOLVED SHOOTING IN FORT LAUDERDALE
- BSO Case Number: 90-1407-000539
- PIO Number: 14-7-5A
- Date: July 3, 2014
- Time: 7:41 p.m.
- Place of Occurrence: Maguires Hill 16, 535 N. Andrews Ave., Ft. Lauderdale
- Off-duty Fort Lauderdale Officer Mark Shotwell (HOSPITALIZED)
- Richard Arruda, 40, male, 4/23/74, 1125 N.E. 16 Ave., Ft. lauderdale (DECEASED)
- Jurisdiction: Ft. Lauderdale
Description of Incident:
Broward Sheriff’s Office homicide detectives are releasing more details about the officer-involved shooting that took place Thursday night outside a popular Ft. Lauderdale restaurant.
Around 7:30 p.m., Richard Arruda and his girllfriend, Christine Menatti, pulled into the parking lot of Maguires Hill 16, located at 535 N. Andrews Avenue in Fort Lauderdale, after getting into a physical comfrontation inside the vehicle. Off-duty Fort Lauderdale Police Officer Mark Shotwell had just exited the restaurant to go home when he came upon the altercation between Apruda and Menatti. Menatti, who works at Maguires and recognized Officer Shotwell, asked him for help, alleging Arruda had battered her. Arruda exited the vehicle and shot Officer Shotwell. Officer Shotwell managed to reach for his weapon returning the gunfire and fatally shooting Arruda. Fort Lauderdale Fire Rescue transported the veteran officer to a nearby hospital where he remains in critical condition but is stable.
Fort Lauderdale Fire Rescue pronounced Arruda dead at the scene.
More than 40 patrons remained inside the business while BSO crime scene and homicide detectives collected evidence from the parking lot.
FLPD requested the assistance of BSO conducting the investigation since one of their officers was involved in this fatal shooting.
The investigation is ongoing.
- INVESTIGATORS: Dets. Ilarraza & Tutler, Sgt. Champagne, Homicide CID; FLPD; FLFR; BSO Crime Scene
- THIS REPORT BY: Keyla Concepción/PIO 7/4/14 1900
Translate This Page: