BURGLARY SUSPECT COMMITS SUICIDE
- BSO Case Number: OP02-06-06623
- PIO Number: 02-6-3
- Date: June 4, 2002
- Time: 2350
- Place of Occurrence: BSO’s District 12 Office at 301 NE 38 Street in Oakland Park
- Devin Nagy, 36, 5/24/66, male, 6010 NE 3 Ave., Ft. Lauderdale (DECEASED)
- James Perry, 41, 2/15/61, male, 1524 SW 22 Street, Ft. Lauderdale
Description of Incident:
A Fort Lauderdale man, who was taken into custody on suspicion of burglary by the Broward Sheriff's Office, killed himself early Wednesday morning in a holding cell before he was transported to jail.
Shortly before midnight on Tuesday, Oakland Park BSO deputies responded to the 4700 block of NE 12 Terrace after a 911 caller spotted two men breaking into a truck. Deputies took the suspects into custody in the 3400 block of NE 16 Avenue and transported them to BSO’s District 12 (Oakland Park) Office for questioning.
Suspects Devin Nagy and James Perry were placed in a holding cell while they waited for BSO detectives to arrive and question them. A wall in the holding cell separated the two men.
Nagy was found hanging in his cell at 1:56 Wednesday morning. According to deputies, there was nothing suspicious about Nagy’s behavior just 5 minutes before he was discovered hanging in the cell.
BSO homicide detectives said Nagy hung himself by using the drawstring from his swimming trunks and then tying the string to the front metal bars of his cell. Nagy was transported to Broward General Medical Center where he was pronounced dead.
Perry remains at BSO’s Main Jail without bond charged with two counts of burglary of an unoccupied conveyance, grand theft, possession of burglary tools, and violation of probation.
- INVESTIGATORS: Sgt. B. O’Neil and Dets. D. Nicholson & J. Berrena
- THIS REPORT BY: Veda Coleman-Wright/PIO