AGGRAVATED BATTERY ARREST
- BSO Case Number: OP01-10-49662
- PIO Number: 01-11-4
- Date: October 31, 2001
- Time: 2130
- Place of Occurrence: 860 NE 40 Street, Apt. 3, Oakland Park
- Eugene Haines, 38, 10/24/63, male, 860 NE 40 Street, Apt. 3, Oakland Park
- name withheld, 14, 1/13/87, male, Lauderdale Lakes
Description of Incident:
Broward Sheriff's Office aggravated felony detectives are investigating a shooting involving a teenager who shot an adult male acquaintance Wednesday night in Oakland Park.
About 9:30 p.m., Eugene Haines said when he answered a knock at his door the 14-year-old suspect shot him in the lower left torso. The suspect fled the Oakland Park apartment , located at 860 NE 40 Street. Haines was transported to Broward General Medical Center, where he was treated and released.
The suspect was arrested when he returned to the scene with his mother. The teen admitted to shooting Haines, telling detectives that he shot the victim because Haines made sexual advances by fondling his leg and would not let him leave the apartment.
The teenage boy faces one count of aggravated battery with a firearm. He was taken to the Juvenile Intervention Facility and later transported to the Juvenile Detention Center in Fort Lauderdale. Detectives were able to recover the .25 caliber handgun that the teen claims he found.
BSO’s Sex Crimes Unit is also investigating the sexual misconduct allegations reported by the suspect.
- INVESTIGATORS: Agg. Felonies Det. N. Glassman
- THIS REPORT BY: Veda Coleman-Wright/PIO