MAN DIES IN EARLY MORNING CRASH IN POMPANO BEACH
- BSO Case Number: PB12-11-04911
- PIO Number: 12-11-20
- Date: 11/19/12
- Time: 4:26 a.m.
- Place of Occurrence: Northbound exit ramp of the Turnpike at Sample Road
- Jurisdiction: Pompano Beach
- Name Withheld, 27, male, Pompano Beach (DECEASED)
- Lionel Diego-Molina, 24, male, Hialeah
Description of Incident:
Broward Sheriff’s Office Traffic Homicide investigators are looking into the cause of a fatal crash that took place around 4:30 Monday morning (Nov. 19).
The incident occurred on West Sample road, off of the northbound exit of the Florida Turnpike. Lionel Diego-Molina, 24, was behind the wheel of a box truck and was waiting at the light of the exit ramp, preparing to make a left turn onto Sample Road. Once the light turned green, he began to move across the intersection and was impacted from behind by a Dodge Neon.
Investigators say the Neon was travelling westbound on Sample Road, but the driver ran the red light crashing into the back of the truck.
The impact sent the box truck in a northwest direction through the intersection and off the roadway, landing on its side in a grassy area.
Pompano Beach Fire Rescue transported the driver of the Neon to Broward Health North, where he succumbed to his injuries. His name is not being released pending notification of his next of kin. Diego-Molina was not injured.
It is believed alcohol could have played a role in this incident. The investigation continues.
- INVESTIGATORS: Dets. Miller and Morales, THI; Pompano Beach; PBFR
- THIS REPORT BY: Keyla Concepción/PIO 1/19/12 1630
Translate This Page: