DISTRACTED MAN WALKS INTO THE PATH OF ONCOMING TRAIN
- BSO Case Number: PB12-09-08045
- PIO Number: 12-9-31
- Date: 9/29/12
- Time: 7:18 p.m.
- Place of Occurrence: FEC Tracks, Northeast 48the Street and North Dixie Highway, Pompano Beach
- Jurisdiction: Pompano Beach
- Matthew Sayers, male, 10/15/80, 31, 4853 N.E. 15th Ave., Pompano Beach (DECEASED)
Description of Incident:
Broward Sheriff's Office detectives are trying to determine why a man walked past the lowered gate and flashing lights of a railroad crossing Saturday evening and into the path of an oncoming train. Matthew Sayers of Pompano Beach was killed on impact.
Witnesses told detectives that Sayers appeared distracted as he walked into the path of the northbound Florida East Coast Railways cargo train. The train engineer saw him walking past the gate and blew the train's horn. It's unclear why Sayers didn't hear the train or notice the flashing lights.
Though the investigation is ongoing, BSO detectives believe the death was accidental.
- INVESTIGATORS: Dets. Morales, Miller, Lt. Akers, THI
- THIS REPORT BY: Dani Moschella/PIO 9/30/12 1730
Posted At: 09/30/2012 05:31 PM
Translate This Page: