CRIME STOPPERS TIP HELPS NAB PUBLIX WALLET THIEF
- BSO Case Number: 08-1308-000709
- PIO Number: 13-9-16 (13-8-37)
- Date: August 14, 2013
- Time: 2:20 p.m.
- Place of Occurrence: 294 Indian Trace, Weston
- Jurisdiction: Weston
- Janett Cooper, 53, female, 5/31/60, 2331 McClellan Street, Apt. #3, Hollywood (IN CUSTODY)
Description of Incident:
An attentive TV viewer helped crack the case for Weston detectives after calling in a tip identifying a female thief who was caught on surveillance video stealing wallets from unsuspecting shoppers at Publix.
Broward Sheriff’s Office detectives released the video of one of the thefts on August 29. Once the tip was received, detectives confirmed the information and coordinated with the suspect’s probation officer to take her into custody.
At 11 a.m. September 12, Janett Cooper, 53, was arrested at the probation office in Hollywood.
The surveillance video released showed Cooper just after 2:20 p.m. Aug. 14 at the Publix at 294 Indian Trace in Weston. She wandered with a cart through the grocery store aisles, pretending to look at items. Once she got close enough to another shopper’s cart to peek into her open purse, she lifted the wallet and slipped it into her own purse.
Cooper admitted to the crime and faces charges of grand theft and petit theft.
Additional charges are expected from other local agencies that are looking at Cooper for similar crimes in their jurisdictions.
Media note: The surveillance video is available at www.sheriff.org.
- INVESTIGATORS: Hayes, Wendt, Sgt. Champagne, CID; Weston
- THIS REPORT BY: Keyla Concepción & Dani Moschella/PIO; 9/13/13 1630
- PIO 13-9-13 Publix Wallet Thief - PIO 13-9-13 Publix Wallet Thief - Janett Cooper
Translate This Page: