HOMELESS WOMAN RAPED IN POMPANO
- BSO Case Number: PB02-11-01611
- PIO Number: 02-11-5
- Date: November 5, 2002
- Place of Occurrence: 138 NE 1st Street, Pompano Beach, FL
- 35-year old homeless woman (name withheld)
- Ricky Jerome Mellion, 25, 3/7/77, no known address
Description of Incident:
A homeless man from Pompano Beach is in the Broward Sheriff’s Office Main Jail today, charged with raping a homeless woman at knifepoint.
According to the 35-year old victim, at about 6:00 a.m. on Tuesday, November 5, 2002, she was sleeping on a picnic table in a park area at 138 NE 1st Street in Pompano Beach when 25-year old Ricky Jerome Mellion attacked her.
The woman says Mellion approached her, exposed himself and pulled out a pocketknife. She says Mellion threatened to slit her throat if she didn’t cooperate. Mellion then reportedly raped the woman and stole nearly $20.00 worth of personal hygiene items from her.
Mellion and the victim then walked to an area mission, the Saint Laurence Chapel at 101 NE 1st Street in Pompano Beach, where the victim reported the crime to the Broward Sheriff's Office.
In October of 2000, Mellion was in the Broward Sheriff's Office Main Jail on a charge of trespassing. He was there again about a year later on drug charges. He is now being held without bond on charges of sexual battery and theft. If convicted of sexual battery, Mellion could be sentenced to life in prison.
- INVESTIGATORS: Det. M. Lott, D-11, CI
- THIS REPORT BY: Hugh Graf / PIO 11/6/02 12:00 p.m.
- Ricky J. Mellion - Ricky J. Mellion
Translate This Page: