COOPER CITY CRASH VICTIM IDENTIFIED
VEHICLE CRASHES THROUGH FENCE, STRIKES TREE, ROLLS OVER
- BSO Case Number: CC11-05-0751
- PIO Number: 11-5-21
- Date: May 12, 2011
- Time: 3:35 p.m.
- Place of Occurrence: Stirling Road and Hiatus Road, Cooper City
- Jurisdiction: Cooper City
- Jacob Charles Bassett, 19, male, 10/10/91, 9401 SW 50 St., Cooper City (DECEASED)
Description of Incident:
A Cooper City teen was killed after he lost control of his vehicle on Stirling Road late Thursday afternoon.
Just after 3:30 p.m. on May 12, Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue and BSO deputies responded to the crash scene at the intersection of Stirling and Hiatus Roads. According to witnesses, the vehicle was traveling westbound on Stirling Road at a high rate of speed when the driver lost control as he attempted to maneuver around traffic. The vehicle, a 2006 Ford Fusion, crashed through a fence, struck a tree, rolled over and tumbled about 200 feet along a gulley before crashing into the fence again and coming to rest on its roof. The driver was ejected onto the roadway. He was pronounced dead on the scene by Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue. The victim was identified as Jacob Charles Bassett, 19, of Cooper City. He was not wearing a seat belt at the time of the crash.
Westbound Stirling Road was shut down at Hiatus Road for several hours while BSO Traffic Homicide Unit detectives conducted the on-scene crash investigation.
- INVESTIGATORS: D-16, THI, BSFR, Dets. Gorman, De Jesus
- THIS REPORT BY: Mike Jachles/PIO 05/13/11 1730
Translate This Page: