SECOND SUSPECT ARRESTED IN FATAL SHOOTING DURING DOMINOES GAME
- BSO Case Number: 90-1403-002540
- PIO Number: 14-6-26 (14-3-25A)
- Date: March 19, 2014
- Time: 10:53 p.m.
- Place of Occurrence: 560 N.W. 29 Terr., Ft. Lauderdale
- Jurisdiction: central Broward County
- Roderick Simmons, male, 30, 10/17/83, 560 N.W. 29 Terr., Ft. Lauderdale (DECEASED)
- 1. Tyrell Cobbin, male, 24, 8/6/89, 290 N.W. 29 Terr., Ft. Lauderdale (IN CUSTODY)
- 2. Melvin Clark III, male, 25, 9/13/88, 2011 York St., Opa-Locka (IN CUSTODY)
Description of Incident:
Broward Sheriff's Office homicide detectives, BSO's SWAT Fugitive Unit and members of the U.S. Marshals Task Force arrested the second suspect responsible for a fatal shooting that occurred in March during a game of dominoes in central Broward.
Melvin Clark III, 25, was arrested Friday, June 20 in the 1400 block of Wilmington St. in Opa-Locka for the murder of Roderick Simmons, 30. The shooting happened just before 11 p.m. March 19 as Simmons played dominoes with friends in front of his house. Witnesses told detectives that a dark-colored vehicle pulled up, the occupants got out with guns and almost immediately opened fire on the group after one of the gunmen demanded money he said he was owed. Simmons and another man were hit.
Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue transported both victims to Broward Health Medical Center. Simmons was pronounced dead a short time later. Bonnie Lockhart, 30, was treated for non-life-threatening gunshot wounds.
The first suspect, Tyrell Cobbin, 24, was hiding at a friend's house in Opa-Locka when he was arrested on March 21 for Simmons’ murder. In addition to the first-degree murder charge, both men face two counts of attempted murder and remain in custody.
- INVESTIGATORS: BSO Det. Ilarraza, Sgt. Champagne, CID; District 5; BSFR
- THIS REPORT BY: Dani Moschella & Veda Coleman-Wright/PIO June 24, 2014 1220
Posted At: 06/24/2014 12:13 PM
Translate This Page: