HOODIE-WEARING HOTEL ROBBER GETS A BED IN JAIL
- BSO Case Number: Multiple
- PIO Number: 12-8-14
- Date: July 13 – Aug. 4, 2012
- Time: Various
- Place of Occurrence: Comfort Suites, 1040 E. Newport Center Dr., Deerfield (7/13/12) Universal Palms/El Palacio, 4900 NW 9 Ave., Oakland Park (7/15/12) Prime Liquors, 2701 South S.R. 7, West Park (7/15/12) Best Western, 1900 Stirling Rd., Dania (7/28/12) Red Roof Inn, 4800 NW 9 Ave., Oakland Park (8/4/12) Two locations in Ft. Lauderdale and one in Hollywood
- Jurisdiction: Multiple
- State of Florida
- Ralph Eugene West Jr., 24, male, 10/7/87, 1604 NW 15 St., Ft. Lauderdale (IN CUSTODY)
Description of Incident:
The armed suspect who has been holding up hotel employees since mid-July was arrested Friday (8/10/12) in Miami-Dade County.
Broward Sheriff’s Office Robbery detectives, working with Fort Lauderdale PD and Hollywood PD investigators, determined they were all looking for the same suspect in the recent string of robberies at various hotels throughout Broward County. Forensic evidence collected from more than a half-dozen scenes helped the BSO Crime Lab identify the gunman as Ralph Eugene West Jr., 24.
In all the robberies the suspect, wearing a long-sleeve, hooded sweatshirt, walked into the hotel to inquire if rooms are available. Once he engaged them in conversation, he pulled out a gun and demanded money from the register. After he got the cash, he fled the scene in an unknown vehicle.
BSO, Ft. Lauderdale PD and Hollywood PD detectives will be filing at least eight charges of robbery with a firearm against West.
***MEDIA NOTE: Video of three of the robberies is available for download on our website www.sheriff.org. (Video locations in order of appearance: Comfort Suites, Deerfield Beach; Red Roof Inn, Oakland Park; Best Western, Dania Beach.)
- THIS REPORT BY: Det. Rivera, CID Robbery Keyla Concepción/PIO Oakland Park, Dania Beach 8/10/12 1500 Deerfield Beach, West Park
Posted At: 08/10/2012 02:53 PM
- PIO 12-8-14 Hoodie-wearing Hotel Robber - Ralph Eugene West Jr. - in custody
Translate This Page: