BSO FINDS MURDER SUSPECTS IN NORTH CAROLINA
- BSO Case Number: DN02-11-02131 (Updated)
- PIO Number: 02-11-33
- Date: Nov. 18, 2002
- Place of Occurrence: Royal Palm Yacht Basin, 629 NE 3 Street, Dania Beach
- Perry Marston, 55, 5/27/47, male, 629 NE 3 Street, Dania Beach (deceased)
- Howard A. Brown, 43, 10/6/59, no known permanent address (in custody)
- Lorien Rametta, 29, 12/16/72, no known permanent address (in custody)
Description of Incident:
Broward Sheriff's Office homicide detectives have tracked suspects in the murder of a Dania Beach man to Fayetteville, North Carolina and expect to bring the pair back to South Florida next week.
Investigators are charging 43-year old Howard A. Brown and 29-year old Lorien Rametta with the November 14, 2002 bludgeoning death of 55-year old Perry Marston aboard Marston’s boat.
Rametta became acquainted with Marston about a month ago through a mutual friend. Detectives say that on Wednesday, November 13th, Rametta and her boyfriend, Brown, were partying with Marston aboard his boat and that at some point that night, Brown told Rametta he was going to rob Marston.
Late the following morning, according to investigators, Rametta awoke to find Brown standing over Marston, repeatedly striking the victim with an object. With Marston dead, the couple covered the body with a bedspread, stole some jewelry and a credit card, and fled in Marston’s 1988 Honda Accord.
Mr. Marston’s murder was not discovered until Monday, November 18th when a friend, concerned that he hadn’t heard from Marston in days, went to the boat and found the victim’s body.
Broward Sheriff's Office detectives were able to track Brown and Rametta through purchases made on Marston’s credit card. The couple drove Marston’s car to Miami, boarded a bus to St. Petersburg, and checked in to a motel. On Monday, November 18th, the pair took a bus to New York. They left New York on the 20th and arrived in Fayetteville, North Carolina on the 21st. On November 21st, BSO detectives contacted Fayetteville authorities who arrested Brown and Rametta without incident at a hotel.
Brown, who faces one count of first-degree murder, could be sentenced to death. Rametta, charged with accessory after the fact to first-degree murder, faces 30-years to life behind bars.
- INVESTIGATORS: Det. G. Bukata, CI / Homicide, District 2: Chief B. Cowart, Sgt. E. Oman, Dep. E. Ruiz
- THIS REPORT BY: Hugh Graf / PIO 11/22/02 2:30 p.m.
Posted At: 11/22/2002 02:31 PM
- Lorien Rametta - Lorien Rametta
Translate This Page: