BROWARD WOMAN KILLED BY TRAIN
- BSO Case Number: PB02-08-6896
- PIO Number: 02-8-30
- Date: August 17, 2002
- Place of Occurrence: Near 300 block of Dixie Highway, Pompano Beach, FL
- Tamara Lemlay, 43, 12/31/58, no known permanent address (deceased)
Description of Incident:
The Broward Sheriff's Office is investigating the death of a 43-year old homeless woman who was struck and killed by a freight train in Pompano Beach this morning.
At about 8:50 the morning of Saturday, August 17, 2002, a southbound Florida Eastcoast Railway (FEC) train struck Tamara Lemlay as she was hit as she attempted to cross the tracks in the 200 block of N. Flagler Street. According to the train’s engineer and conductor, Ms. Lemlay seemed unaware of the train as she crossed the tracks from west to east.
The southbound train, with ten cars, was traveling southbound on the FEC tracks that run parallel to Dixie Highway. The train was running out of Palm Bay on its way to Ft. Lauderdale. It was traveling at approximately forty miles an hour when it struck Ms. Lemlay.
Neither the 38-year old engineer, D. Mills of Ft. Lauderdale, nor the 50-year old conductor, M. Sanz of Miami, were injured.
BSO investigators do not suspect foul play at this point and are continuing with their investigation.
- INVESTIGATORS: Det. R. Libman, CI
- THIS REPORT BY: Hugh Graf / PIO 8/17/02 1:00 p.m.
- Tamara Lemlay - Tamara Lemlay
Translate This Page: