BSO DEPUTY CRITICALLY WOUNDED IN CRASH
- BSO Case Number: 11-1309-002705
- PIO Number: 13-9-12
- Date: Sept. 11, 2013
- Time: 6:16 a.m.
- Place of Occurrence: southbound lanes of Interstate 95 south of Copans Road, Pompano Beach
- Jurisdiction: Pompano Beach
- Deputy Daniel Rivera, 32 (HOSPITALIZED)
Description of Incident:
A Broward Sheriff’s Office deputy on his way to work Wednesday morning was critically injured when his car veered off Interstate 95 and crashed into a tree.
Pompano Beach Fire Rescue transported Deputy Daniel Rivera, 32, to Broward Health North hospital with life-threatening injuries. Rivera started at BSO in 2003 as a Department of Detention deputy. He transferred to the Department of Law Enforcement in May 2012. He is assigned to the Pompano Beach district.
A BSO communications training specialist on his way to work was the first person at the scene. That employee notified BSO of the crash and Rivera’s condition at 6:16 a.m. It is unclear what time the crash happened. BSO’s Traffic Homicide Unit is investigating to determine what circumstances led to the crash.
Anyone who witnessed the crash is asked to call the BSO Traffic Homicide Unit at (954) 321-4840 or anonymously report information to Crime Stoppers of Broward County at (954) 493-TIPS (8477) or online at www.browardcrimestoppers.org.
- INVESTIGATORS: Det. Miller, Lt. Akers, THI; Pompano Beach Fire Rescue
- THIS REPORT BY: Dani Moschella/PIO 9/11/13 1500