BSO MAKES ARREST IN LAUDERHILL MURDER
- BSO Case Number: BS02-04-9905
- PIO Number: 02-5-19
- Date: April 22, 2002
- Place of Occurrence: The 7000 block of NW 49th Place, Lauderhill
- Brent Hamilton, 21, 11/10/80, 7079 NW 49th Place, Lauderhill
- Orville Blythe, 24, 5/15/77, 4663 SW 51st Court, Tamarac
Description of Incident:
Broward Sheriff’s Office homicide detectives have arrested 24-year old Tamarac man in connection with the murder last month of a Lauderhill man.
Investigators say Orville Blythe was in an ongoing dispute with 21-year old Brent Hamilton of 7079 NW 49th Place, Lauderhill. Early the morning of Monday, April 22, 2002, Hamilton and Blythe reportedly had a physical altercation at The Ballroom Lounge in Tamarac.
BSO detectives say sometime around 6:00 that morning, Blythe followed Hamilton to an area near Hamilton’s home in the 7000 block of NW 49th Place, confronted the victim and fired several shots from a handgun, striking Hamilton once in the back.
Although injured, Hamilton phoned a friend who transported the wounded man to University Hospital in Tamarac. From there, Hamilton was taken to North Broward Medical Center where he died a short time later.
Hamilton had a short criminal record for misdemeanor offenses.
Blythe, of 4663 SW 51st Court, Tamarac, is in the Broward Sheriff's Office main jail, charged with first-degree murder and drug and weapons offenses.
Detectives are continuing with their investigation.
- INVESTIGATORS: Sgt. J. Murray, Det. D. Nicholson, Det. J. Berrena
- THIS REPORT BY: Hugh Graf / PIO 5/8/02 12:00 pm
- Orville Blythe - Orville Blythe