FINAL MURDER SUSPECT ARRESTED
- BSO Case Number: PB03-07-12969
- PIO Number: 03-9-48
- Date: July 30, 2003
- Time: 11:04 a.m.
- Place of Occurrence: Jewelry Francy’s, 231 SW 6th Street, Pompano Beach
- Meliton Aguirre, 40, 4/1/63, male, 1484 NE 31 Ct., Pompano Beach
- Francisca Valencia, 43, 6/4/60, female, 1484 NE 31 Ct., Pompano Beach
- Rafael Avellaneda, 65, male, 1484 NE 31 Ct., Pompano Beach
- Enrique Blanco, 45, 6/6/58, male, Pompano Beach
- Jamel Shelton, 20, 8/1/82, male, 701 NW 10 St., Pompano Beach (Deceased)
- Collin Cheatom, 21, 10/23/81, male, 237 NW 14 St., Pompano Beach (Jailed)
- David Spencer Hollis, 22, 5/13/81, male, 701 NW 10 St., #A-101, Pompano (Jailed)
- Damian Wilkey, 19, 3/3/84, male, 1317 NW 2 Ave., Ft. Lauderdale (Jailed)
Description of Incident:
The third and final suspect wanted in connection with the deadly attempted robbery of a Pompano Beach jewelry store nearly two months ago is now in the Broward Sheriff's Office main jail.
Shortly before 6:00 p.m. on Thursday, September 25, 2003, BSO detectives arrested 19-year old Damian Jerome Wilkey at his home at 1317 NW 2nd Avenue in Ft. Lauderdale. Wilkey was one of four men who tried to hold-up Jewelry Francy’s at 231 SW 6th Street on July 30th.
That morning, just after 11:00 a.m., Wilkey and his accomplices entered the store intending to rob the place. But an employee pulled a pistol and fired at the armed crooks. When the smoke cleared, one suspect, 20-year old Jamel Shelton of Pompano Beach was lying in front of the store, mortally wounded. The three other crooks had fled. Fortunately, none of the victims was hurt.
On July 31st, BSO detectives tracked down and arrested 21-year old Collin Cheatom of Pompano beach for his part in the crime. Another suspect, 22-year old David Spencer Hollis of Pompano Beach was busted by BSO on September 8th. Wilkey, Cheatom, and Hollis are all being held without bond on a murder charge. The charge stems from their taking part in a crime in which one of their co-conspirators was killed.
During an interview with detectives, Wilkey gave a full confession, telling investigators how he and the other men had plotted to rob Jewelry Francy’s.
- INVESTIGATORS: Lt. Weiner, Dist. 11 / Homicide Sgt. J. Murray, CI / Homicide Dets. F. Ilarraza & R. Libman, CI / Robbery Dets. L. Crew & D. DiPerna, CI
- THIS REPORT BY: Hugh Graf / PIO September 26, 2003 / 12:00 p.m.
Translate This Page: