THE FAMILY THAT PREYS ON THE ELDERLY TOGETHER, STAYS IN JAIL TOGETHER
- BSO Case Number: 07-1510-001346
- PIO Number: 15-10-13
- Date: October 13, 2015
- Time: 5:19 p.m.
- Place of Occurrence: 7829 N.W. 83 St., Tamarac
- Jurisdiction: Tamarac
- Mayetta Scartz, 92, female, Tamarac
- Skippy Thompson, 21, 3/2/94, male, 6101 Pembroke Rd., Hollywood (IN CUSTODY)
- Rocky Thompson, 51, 5/10/64, male, 2152 N.E. 63 Ct., Fort Lauderdale (IN CUSTODY)
- Bill Thompson, 24, 11/6/90, male, 1472 N.E. 62 St., Fort Lauderdale (IN CUSTODY)
- David Thompson, 53, 12/4/61, male, 2130 N.E. 56 St., Fort Lauderdale (IN CUSTODY)
Description of Incident:
A multi-agency taskforce arrested four members of a family of thieves targeting elderly victims in distraction thefts in Broward, Miami-Dade and Palm Beach counties. Investigators are asking additional victims to come forward.
On October 13, Broward Sheriff’s Office Burglary Apprehension Team investigators, in conjunction with the Boca Raton Police, arrested Skippy, Rocky, Bill and David Thompson for a distraction burglary in Tamarac during a surveillance operation.
David Thompson knocked on Mayetta Scartz’s front door and told her he had to clean debris from her yard and treat her lawn. He used this rouse to distract the victim and asked her to walk with him to the backyard. Meanwhile, Skippy, Bill and Rocky entered the victim’s home through the front door and stole several hundred dollars from the victim’s bedroom.
Detectives believe the crew has committed several distraction thefts targeting seniors throughout south Florida. They are asking any additional victims to contact authorities.
All four men face charges for burglary and grand theft. Additionally, David Thompson faces a possession of cannabis charge and Rocky Thompson faces a charge for driving with a suspended license.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Sgt. Valerie Devlin at (954) 321-4100 or report anonymous tips to Crime Stoppers of Broward County at (954) 493-TIPS (8477) or online at www.browardcrimestoppers.org. Crime Stoppers will pay up to $3,000 for information that leads to an arrest.
- INVESTIGATORS: BSO Burglary Apprehension Team Sgt. Valerie Devlin and Boca Raton Police
- THIS REPORT BY: Gina Carter/PIO 10/14/2015 1330
Posted At: 10/14/2015 01:43 PM
Translate This Page: