BUS VS. PEDESTRIAN FATALITY
- Updated: 7/17/01 5:46:38 PM
- BSO Case Number: BS01-7-8713 (UPDATED)
- PIO Number: 01-7-37
- Date: July 17, 2001
- Time: 12:50 p.m.
- Place of Occurrence: near 1200 block of East Sunrise Boulevard, Ft. Lauderdale
- Fort Lauderdale man, in his early 40's, name withheld (DECEASED)
Description of Incident:
Broward Sheriff's Office Traffic Homicide detectives are investigating a bus accident that resulted in a pedestrian fatality in Fort Lauderdale Tuesday afternoon.
The accident occurred near the 1200 block of East Sunrise Boulevard around 12:50 p.m. Eastbound lanes of Sunrise Boulevard were closed to traffic for several hours while rescue workers responded and BSO detectives investigated the incident.
BSO traffic homicide detectives said the pedestrian stepped off the curb into the path of an eastbound Broward County Transit bus when he was hit. The Fort Lauderdale man landed in the center lane where he was struck by an eastbound 1994 Jeep. The driver of the county bus and the driver of the Jeep remained at the scene.
The victim, whose name is being withheld until detectives notify his next of kin, was transported to Broward General Medical Center where he later died. No other injuries were reported.
- INVESTIGATORS: Sgt. R. Hodges, Det. M. Gorman & Det. J. Gill and PIO Veda Coleman-Wright