If you store information on your computer's hard drive, pay bills online or order merchandise over the Internet, remember that your information is subject to theft by computer hackers. Protect yourself by:
- using a mix of letters and numbers for your passwords.
- not providing personal information such as dates of birth, social security numbers or your mother's maiden name.
- Not downloading files or email attachments sent to you by strangers. Don't click on hyperlinks from people you do not know.
- installing a firewall program and a virus protection program.
- making online purchases only from reputable merchants.
- Economic Crimes Unit Main Page
- Credit card fraud
- Identity theft
- Check forgery and counterfeit documents
- Contractor Licensing and Fraud Unit
- Telemarketing fraud
- Business opportunity fraud
- Commonly used scams
- Helpful resources
- Homeowners & Mortgage Fraud