The City of Oakland Park contracted with the Broward Sheriff's Office in August 2000 to provide law enforcement services for its 42,420 permanent residents.
Originally established as the City of a in the mid-1920's, the city was reorganized and reincorporated as Oakland Park in 1929 when the population totaled 500.
Approximately 8 square miles, Oakland Park is located immediately west of US-1 and extends south to the north fork of the Middle River and borders Cypress Creek Road to the north. Western boundaries extend to NW 31 Avenue in the farthest western section.
The district has an annual operating budget of approximately $13 million and provides for 97 positions including a district captain, two lieutenants, seven sergeants, 77 deputies and administrative personnel.