• Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies (CALEA)
• Commission for Florida Law Enforcement Accreditation (CFA)
• American Correctional Association. (ACA)
• Florida Correction Accreditation Commission - Corrections. (FCAC)
• National Commission on Correctional Health Care. (NCCHC)
• Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitative Facilities (CARF)
• Florida Correction Accreditation Commission - Pretrial. (FCAC)
• American Society of Crime Laboratory Directors/Laboratory Accreditation Board (ASCLD/LAB)
• ANSI-ASQ National Accreditation Board (ANAB)
• Florida Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission
• Public Safety Communications Accreditation Program (PSCAP)
• National Academy of Emergency Dispatch (NAED).
Fire Rescue and Emergency Services
• Commission on Fire Accreditation International (CFAI)
• Commission on Accreditation of Ambulance Services (CAAS)
• Insurance Services Organization (ISO)
• National Institute of Governmental Purchasing (NIGP)
Goals of Accreditation
To strengthen crime prevention and control capacities
To formulate essential management procedures
To establish fair and non-discriminatory personnel practices
To improve service delivery
To solidify interagency cooperation and coordination
To boost citizen and staff confidence in the agency
Ensures the agency has policies that are updated and current to the needs of the community, along with sound training, clearly defined lines of authority, a system of checks and balances, and routine reports that support decision making and resource allocation.
GREATER GOVERNMENTAL SUPPORT
Provides evidence of the agency's commitment to excellence in leadership, resource management and service delivery, thus ensuring more confidence in the agency's ability to operate effectively and meet community needs.
INCREASED COMMUNITY ADVOCACY
Embodies the concepts of community-oriented policing. It creates a forum in which police and citizens work together to prevent crime. This partnership helps citizens understand the challenges confronting law enforcement and gives law enforcement clear direction about community expectations.
PROTECTS EMPLOYEES AND CITIZENS
Ensures all patrol deputies have the same protective equipment. Requires internal affairs investigations to be conducted properly. Promotes fair hiring and promotional practices.
STRONGER POSITION IN LAWSUITS
Enables agencies to better represent themselves in lawsuits, possibly help reduce liability costs, and assist with citizen complaints.
OUTSIDE AGENCY REVIEW
Involves a Mock and On-Site Review by law enforcement professionals from other parts of Florida and the United States. They visit and carefully examine all of the law enforcement functions of the agency to ensure that all 500 accreditation standards are being followed.
RECOGNITION FOR EXCELLENCE
Provides objective evidence of an agency's commitment to excellence in leadership, resource management, service delivery, and to adhering to a body of stringent standards, which represent the very best in law enforcement today.
For more information about BSO's accreditations, please call the Division of Policy & Accountability at 954-831-8930